Please read the helpful information below about using your Spirit Prepaid Reloadable Visa* Card. It will help you get the most from your card and reduce declined transactions. Please also visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page to review further details about your card.
The card you received at the time of purchase at participating Arctic Co-op locations is your instantly issued Spirit Prepaid Reloadable Visa Card. It does not have your name on it. Your local participating Co-op cannot request a card with your name on it for you.
There are a few things you need to do when you first get your card.
1) Sign your name on the white stripe on the back of card using pen.
2) Call Cardholder Services and set up your PIN.
How to set up your ATM PIN
Follow the steps below:
Call Cardholder Services at 1-844-893-6622.
Enter your 16-Digit card number.
Enter your month and date of birth with a touch tone phone, as MMDD (i.e. if you were born on December 4th, you would enter “1204”)
Once your information has been verified, you will be:
While you are still on the phone you have the option of changing your assigned PIN to a more easily remembered number. Using your touch tone phone follow the prompts to enter your own 4-digit PIN.
When your PIN is confirmed, simply hang up.
How to set up your online account
Set up your online account to check your balance and transactions at www.spiritcard.ca. Click Need a login? and provide the security information requested, choose a “Username” and “Password” that you will use every time you log on. Remember your username and password, keep them safe, and do not share them with anyone. If you key in your username and password incorrectly more than 3 times you will be locked out for 24 hours. To unlock your account please call Cardholder Services. You will not receive a paper statement of your transactions in the mail.
How to load money to your card
A primary card may be loaded and reloaded with funds using cash or a debit card at all the approved participating Arctic Co-op locations. A primary card may be used to load and reload funds on up to five other cards, including up to 2 Companion cards, through online card-to-card transfers on this website www.spiritcard.ca. Cash cannot be loaded directly onto a Companion card. Only the Primary cardholder can load funds onto a Companion card.
There are limits on the amount you may load at any one time, as outlined in the Cardholder Agreement.. You can reload your card until the “Good thru” date (expiry date) printed on the front of the card. As long as your card is active, has a balance and is in good standing, approximately 45 days before the “Good thru” date, you will be sent a new card in the mail. If you do not receive your card in the mail, and your card has already expired, you will have to visit your local Co-op location for a renewal card.
How to Withdraw Cash from Your Card
Use your card and PIN to withdraw cash at any ATM displaying the Visa symbol or take your card to any Visa issuing financial institution to make an over the counter cash advance (subject to fees and limits, as outlined in the Cardholder Agreement.)
What should you do if your card is lost or stolen?
If your card is lost or stolen, visit your local Arctic Co-op or call Cardholder Services at 1-844-893-6622 right away and tell them the card is lost or stolen. Your local Co-op can issue you a new card right away. If you choose to call Cardholder Services, your card will be mailed to you, which can take many weeks. In both options you must have enough balance on your card to cover the $10 replacement card fee or you will be asked to load your card first to cover the fee.
Always know your balance (how much money is on your card)
Stores cannot see your balance when you buy things so you must remember how much money is on your card. A purchase amount over your card balance will be declined. If you do not remember your balance, or you want to check your purchases, you can do that by logging into this site or by calling Cardholder Services at 1-844-893-6622.
To make a purchase for more than your balance (split purchase)
You must tell the sales clerk you want to make a split purchase before you try and pay. Some stores will not let you do this. Tell the sales clerk exactly how much to charge to your card, it must not be more than your available balance. Then pay the rest in cash or another payment method.
What is an authorization, and why you cannot use the money authorized for a purchase?
Restaurants, hotels, mail order and rental companies will “Authorize or hold” money on your card to cover a purchase, plus 15-20% extra even if you have not used the service yet. If you do not have enough money to cover the full cost plus the extra 15-20%, your card will be declined. You will also temporarily be unable to use this money even if you have not yet made the final purchase.
• Restaurants may also do this in case you want to leave a tip. Your balance must be more than the total bill plus 15% extra or your card could be declined.
• Hotel, mail order, and rental company authorizations can take up to 30 days to be released back on your card. We suggest you do not use your card at these places.
If you return a product or service, these authorizations can still take up to 7 days for your money to be put back on your card. The money from the actual return of the product can also take 2 to 3 days to be put back on your card. Authorization amounts are shown on your Cardholder Agreement.
Using unattended payment terminals
Unattended terminals such as parking lot machines and pay at the pump gas stations, where there is no sales clerk and you insert your card into a machine, may not accept your card because of their security requirements. Try not to use these types of terminals.
Using your card to shop online
Keep your address up to date by using this site as this will increase the likelihood your card will be accepted at online sites. We cannot guarantee your card will work on all websites due to the various security features of global websites.
How can I share my card funds with friends and family
There are two great ways to share funds with friends and family.
1) Buy a companion card under your card account.
• The primary cardholder must be present with their card and be verified at an Arctic Co-op location. Upon requesting a companion card, you must provide information on the person who will use the companion card. You will need to provide their name, date of birth, phone number, and address just like you did.
• This is a great option for a spouse or someone living with or very close to you because you will share card limits. The primary cardholder controls card load and how much is transferred to the companion card(s). The companion cardholders may only spend as desired. (Please see Cardholder Agreement for details.)
2. Each person buys their own primary card and uses their online account or Cardholders Services to do Card to Card Transfers to send money to each others cards.
• This is a great option for other family members or friends who might be traveling, or who you do not want share your transaction information with because cards do not share limits, card loads, or the same balance and cards do not share online account details.
How do I do a Card to Card Transfer
There are two ways to do a card to card transfer;
From your Online Account
• First you must set up your online account
• Then follow the instructions online to set up “Transfer Cards” and “Nicknames” for the cards you want to send money to.
• You must know the card number of the person you want to send money to.
By calling Cardholder Services
• An agent will help you with processing the card to card transfer. Please note that it could take up to 24 hours to complete.
• You must know the card number of the person you want to send money to.
What are the limits for Card to Card Transfer?
Please see Cardholder Agreement for full details.